What Should You Do If You Suspect a Gas Leak in Your Home?
A gas leak in your Guthrie, OK, home could be dangerous. While the natural gas you use for cooking isn't toxic, it is incredibly flammable. It could thus cause a gas fire or even a gas explosion. You thus need to address the issue as soon as possible.
Signs of a Gas Leak
While the gas itself is not visible, there are some easy ways to tell whether there is excess gas in your home. You just need to use your eyes, nose, and ears. Any of the following could be evidence of a gas leak:
- The sound of hissing from an appliance or pipe
- The smell of sulfur or rotten eggs
- The appearance of bubbles in wet areas
The Proper Response
The gas you smell may simply be coming from your stove. Check to see if someone accidentally left on one of the burners.
If that is not the cause of stench, then you likely have a gas leak. Your next step should be opening the doors and windows of your home. This will ventilate the area and allow the gas to leave the building.
To prevent a gas fire, avoid using any electronics or phones inside the house. You should not light any matches or turn on appliances, either. Instead, you should evacuate the property and dial 911. You may also want to shut off your gas meter if you know how to do so.
Prevention and Mitigation
Once it is safe to go back into your house, you can take steps to prevent gas problems in the future. Make sure to check your exhausts and change your furnace filter regularly. You should also store contact information for your local emergency restoration professionals, just in case a gas fire does occur.
If you smell rotten eggs in your home, act quickly to prevent a devastating blaze or explosion. Ventilate your home immediately and get you and your family to safety.