Tips for Making a Fire Claim
How to File A Fire Claim
In the unfortunate event of a house fire in Sumner, OK feelings of not knowing where to begin the fire restoration process would be natural. Once you are certain that everyone is safe, there are steps to take to organize your response. After the fire trucks leave, it is important to seek professional help to assess the damage and secure the structure instead of trying to do this on your own.
Simplifying the Insurance Process
Home fire expenses can mount up quickly, and that is where your insurer steps in. To achieve the maximum benefit of your fire insurance policy, there are a few important tips to keep in mind.
- Call your insurance company to ask for an advance against your claim if you find that you have immediate expenses to cover out of pocket. This will be deducted from your overall claim once it is settled.
- Obtain a copy of the police report.
- Make a detailed list of losses, and don’t discard anything until after the adjuster’s visit. Documenting damage and losses is essential to a fair settlement.
- File your insurance claim without delay.
- Track all expenses related to fire restoration, and keep all receipts.
- Collect accurate and appropriate repair estimates in writing.
- Do not feel compelled to settle unless you are satisfied with the insurance company’s response. It is likely to be a negotiation.
Recovering From a Fire
Replacement, repair and restoration are all part of the process of rebounding from a house fire. However, feeling overwhelmed by all that needs to be done does not have to be inevitable. A methodical approach will go a long way in making the process run smoothly. Documenting all expenses and keeping the lines of communication open with your insurer will help keep things moving in the right direction. Fire restoration is not complete until you are resettled in your home with all remediation, including smoke cleaning, finished to your satisfaction.