If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (405) 332-2122

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

6 Leading Causes of Home Fires

11/2/2021 (Permalink)

Inside of a home completely damaged by fire A home fire in Navina, OK.

Common Fire Causes

A home fire can be an extremely devastating experience for any homeowner in Navina, OK. Understanding common fire causes can help you evaluate and safeguard your home.

1. Faulty Wiring

Faulty wiring inside your walls or appliances can be a significant fire hazard. Symptoms of damaged home wiring include frequently blown fuses or lights spontaneously dimming when appliances are in use.

If you have concerns about your home’s electrical wiring, promptly contact a licensed electrician. You should also avoid using any appliances that have frayed or damaged cords.

2. Overloaded Outlets and Extension Cords

Most outlets are designed to accommodate two electrical plugs. Attempting to plug additional items into a single outlet can overload it, increasing the risk of a home fire. As an added precaution, you should also limit the use of extension cords and avoid placing them under rugs where they may overheat.

3. Cooking Accidents

To reduce the risk of a damaging kitchen fire and the need for extensive fire cleaning, you should never leave your stove unattended while cooking. Remaining attentive can prevent pots and pans from overheating and grease or other flammable liquids from igniting.

4. Portable Heaters

Portable heaters are another leading cause of fires. To operate your heater safely, refrain from placing it near curtains, blankets, paper or upholstered furniture.

5. Cigarettes

Improperly disposed cigarette butts can also ignite a fire. Smoking outside helps minimize this risk. If you choose to smoke inside your home, refrain from doing so while in bed and ensure you carefully extinguish butts inside an ash tray.

6. Matches and Candles

Matches and candles can also be dangerous. Never leave a burning candle unattended and ensure that children in the home understand that candles and matches are not toys. These items should be used only with adult supervision.

A home fire can result in significant damage necessitating extensive fire cleaning and restoration. Although no homeowner can completely eliminate their home’s fire risk, remaining vigilant in the kitchen and taking precautions with heaters, cigarettes, candles and extension cords can help prevent a potentially destructive fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts